Feb 26, 2021
Rocking Recovery the New Thought Wat
Sexy Spirituality Episode #37
Host: Lezli Goodwin
Guest: Jolene Baney, Co-Founder and Spiritual
Coach at Qualia Recovery, providing case management and supported
residential living for long-term recovery
Guest: Ron Trunnell, licensed practitioner, new
ministerial student living and breathing his own recovery for 22
years, and founding member of Renewal in the Desert, an annual
spiritual retreat for sober gay men in Phoenix, Arizona
Lezli, Ron and Jolene talk about what’s inspiring them right
- Jolene: Opening Qualia Recovery, a new residential facility (8
apartments) in Phoenix. I am inspired by creating the coaching
program & helping people reconnect with their passions.
- Ron: I’m really focused on the concept of “Back to Basics” both
in the Center, where we focus on the basics of Science of Mind, and
in recovery where we go back to the idea of powerlessness.
- Lezli: The New Vision Center for Spiritual Living’s annual
theme, “The Spiritual Hero’s Journey” -- combining Joseph
Campbell’s theory of the Hero’s Journey and New Thought. I’m loving
having reasons to talk about Harry Potter and Buffy.
Rocking Recovery the New Thought Way
- Ron and Jolene are both good friends and fellow partners at New
Vision Center for Spiritual Living
- Our topic today is “Rocking Recovery the New Thought Way”
- Sometimes, Recovery and New Thought are conceived of as
- Ron: Recovery can come across as traditional, New Thought less
so. But there are places in the Big Book of AA (called “We
Agnostics”) that sound like it could be literally out of The
Science of Mind or written by Ernest Holmes. Holmes also spoke of
AA very positively, focusing on “The fatherhood of God and the
brotherhood of man.” (Gender due to the age it was written.)
- Where does the misunderstanding come up that 12 Steps are
against Science of Mind? Jolene: It can be the word “powerless.” I
think of it as I have turned away from the power of God that is
always there. I’d been choosing not to plug in.
- Ron: Look below the surface. If I only look at the surface,
look how different Jolene and I are. But within we have so much in
common. The common thread is there. The same is true of the two
philosophies, but you have to look beneath the surface to the
- Jolene: Surrender is one of those words where you feel like
you’re surrendering your power, or you can give it over and gain
Freedom. That’s what I chose. It’s such a relief.
- Georgia Prescott, “Powerful or Powerless.”
- Jolene: It’s about rediscovering your passion and good, that
there is an intuition and a power in your body, in your being. You
wake up to it through meditation, affirmations, reconnecting your
- Joe Dispenza: infecting the Quantum Field https://drjoedispenza.com/
- “What the Bleep Do We Know,” https://whatthebleep.com/
- Ron: It’s all just a choice away. “The entire universe will
conspire for you at that moment of choice, that moment of
- Jolene: doing monthly World Cafes to connect with people all
over the world.
- Sacred Service & being a sponsor, ways of sharing our
experience, strength and hope with those who are new to the path of
- Honoring every path, every philosophy, every faith tradition.
It’s about what is right for each person as an individualized
creation of the Divine.
- Ron: There are many paths. THe important thing is to make a
choice and move in that direction.
- Jolene: People in recovery are not broken. There are the most
wonderful, powerful, creative people in the world.
- Lezli: There is nothing you cannot do. You just have to take
the first step and trust there will be stone underneath your foot
when it lands. The entire Universe conspires to bring you the
things you need to walk it out.
Jolene: I mentioned Qualia Recovery, our new
residential center in Phoenix Arizona. www.qualiarecovery.com I also
mentioned Passion Maps, and my website for that is www.premiererecoveryoptions.com
Ron: There are people out there already loving
you. So whoever you are, whatever your situation is, just know that
there’s a power of Love already supporting you. And by making that
choice, whether it is to pursue a 12 Step program, perhaps
Alcoholics Annonymous, search that out and find a meeting and
simply say yes. If it’s about finding that deeper spiritual
connection, find a Center for Spiritual Living near you or online
streams online) and connect with people who want to love you.
Lezli: My something good is that we have NEW
pieces of Science of Mind jewelry on our website www.newthought.shop. New colors in
bracelets, some beaded earrings, good stuff. Check it out and save
20% with Promo Code “Sexy2021” to save 20% off your order. Again,
that’s www.newthought.shop You can
find more from me at www.lezligoodwin.com
If you’d like to support Sexy Spirituality Podcast, please
consider joining us on Patreon at www.patreon.com/sexyspirituality.
From early access to episodes to patron-only content, our Patreon
community gets the very sexiest stuff from us! A big thank you to
our patrons for making this show possible.
If you’d like to support Sexy Spirituality Podcast, please give
a 5 start review on Apple Podcasts or the platform you prefer to
listen on. It really does help!
If you have any feedback about the show, we’d love to hear from
you at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can
find all of our show notes and podcast episodes at sexyspiritualitypodcast.com.
Be sure to click subscribe!